Saturday, November 29, 2014

Crystal Caves

Here is a little lesson on progressive enhancement of your game.

My wife pointed out the fantastic crystal caves of Mexico, so naturally, I decided Lone Spelunker needs to have giant gypsum crystals.

My first attempt looked like this:


I thought to myself, it kind of looks like...something other than gypsum crystals.  But I put it up on Twitter anyway.  Within minutes, it became clear that it looks too much like...not gypsum crystals.

This prompted me to go back to the drawing board.  After much tinkering, I came up with this:


I am much happier with this version.  In the first version, I was pretty much restricted to horizontal, vertical, and 45°-angle crystals because of the glyphs I was using, but once I removed the glyphs, I could make them go in any direction I liked.  And of course, this looks even better.  And it will be less likely to make people crack jokes.


No comments:

Post a Comment