Here are some screenies:
Part of what ate up my time was having to go back to the drawing board a few times on the "ploxel" engine that undergirds the mystery generation. I think I have a pretty workable, modular system now, but it took some doing to get it right.
It's taking me longer to create content than I had hoped, as well. The sprite sheets are going quickly, and I think they look good, but the coding that goes behind them gets a little complicated to allow them to "play nice" with the generator. For instance, I can't just create a gate to R'Lyeh that is opened with the opening ritual at the Standing Stones, because I want it so that as I add more ploxels, the gate can go to a different realm, the ritual comes from other places, and the location you open the gate can change. Which means absolutely everything has a layer of abstraction on it that makes it a little hard to wrap your head around sometimes.
But it's working! And it's powerful. I can do things like spawn entire set pieces into maps. For instance, I can have a ploxel add a whole ship to the harbor location, complete with bad guys, loot drops, etc., embedded in the sub-map in the same way I draw regular maps.
The main problem is that content is taking a long time to craft. I think I'll have a playable mystery for the end of the seven days, but the mysteries it generates will be pretty uniform. But with the modular setup, I should be able to flesh out the system with many more ploxels in the weeks following the 7DRL. Like Lone Spelunker, I think I have a pretty good game on my hands that is passable as a 7DRL, but will really shine if I put some more work into it post-compo. We'll see what the response is like - if people seem to be enjoying it and see its potential, then I will probably flesh it out more.